I first sampled this whisky years ago at La Maison du Whisky together with two other Puni whiskies. At the time I was hunting for something decidedly “different” for a fellow whisky aficionado and the more daring Puni Alba Marsala + Islay combination was very unique and fit perfectly into my friend’s East to West theme.
Yet I kept remembering how the bourbon, though initially dismissed, had an interesting quality that drew my sampling companion and I back… So when next I had an opportunity, snagged this bottle and impatiently waited for the right whiskies and setting to open it!
Finally in May 2018, with the Bombay Malt & Cigar gents, an evening of European Explorations fit the bill perfectly! And what did we think?
Puni Nova Bourbon Cask, Batch #2 (2015) 43%
- Nose – Fresh, organic, honey, flowers, almond, was there light smoke like sacred ash? Then increasingly pure honey vanilla… shifting into sour coconut or palm feni
- Palate – Feels good on the tongue then a bit of a burn, coats the mouth
- Finish – Spice on the finish
- Water – Sour and bitter on the palate, yet rounds it out a bit
There was something unfinished about it and after such superbly and surprisingly enjoyable offerings from Germany (DeCavo) and Switzerland (Swiss Highland), the gents were honestly disappointed.
It was not what I remembered from years ago… Perhaps the difference is an open oxidized bottle vs freshly opened? Perhaps I originally had batch 1 and there was variation? Perhaps it was merely the tasting order and comparison. Perhaps it simply needs to be set aside like the first time and revisited.
Here is what they have to say on the label:
Matured for three years in American & European oak casks natural colour & non chill-filtered
- Honey, banana, vanilla
This whisky was purchased for SGD 135 at La Maison du Whisky.
My European Explorations with the Bombay Malt & Cigar gents included:
- France – Domaine Des Hautes Glace Organic Single Malt 42%
- Belgium – Gouden Carolus 3 years 46% – Bonus from our host!
- Germany – DeCavo NAS Batch 10, Cask 92
- Italy – Puni Nova Bourbon Cask, Batch #2 (2015) 43% – 1st encounter
- Switzerland – Forty Three Swiss Highland Single Malt Whisky 43%
You can also find Whisky Lady in India on:
- Facebook Whisky Lady in India – https://www.facebook.com/WhiskyLadyIN
- Twitter @WhiskyLadyIN