Over the last few years, I’ve had a few opportunities to explore European whiskies… so much so that I created a separate page devoted just for whiskies with European origins.
I will also admit that the novelty factor is often higher than the quality factor. Hence I knew I was taking a gamble with this particular quartet – acquired over a few years for the Bombay Malt & Cigar gentlemen.
What did we try?
- Belgium – Gouden Carolus Single Malt 3 years 46% – Thrown in by our host who just “happened to have it”
- France – Domaine Des Hautes Glace Organic Single Malt 42% – Picked up purely on ‘spec’ at La Maison du Whisky
- Germany – DeCavo NAS Batch 10, Cask 92 46% – Purchased at a speciality store in Munich
- Italy – Puni Nova Bourbon Cask, Batch #2 (2015) 43% – Acquired at La Maison du Whisky in Singapore after sampling a trio from Puni
- Switzerland – Forty Three Swiss Highland Single Malt Whisky 43% – Another find from a trip to Germany
And just because I happened to have an open bottle, I shared a snifter of Bretagne’s Buckwheat whisky Eddu Silver 40%. It was quickly quaffed, pronounced like calvados and we moved on to the main event!