Last in the official pours from our original club’s rye night was a whiskey from High West. As I was off in Germany, notes were ably recorded by our guest writer Nikkhil… Read on!
Pour 3: High West Double Rye Whiskey 46% | Batch No: 16I08 | Un-chill filtered
- Appearance: Dark brown caramel
Nose: Acrid,nail polish, solventy, metallic paint shop. A tiny hint of rose petals.Muted nose. We weren’t getting anything much from this one.
Palate: Sharp and bitter sweet but not rough. Palate as muted as the nose. Hints of coco,cinnamon and tobacco. With water it gets even sharper. Green tea and some black pepper.
Finish: Short and still solventy.
- After 20min rest: Grassy notes and tobacco.
- Nose: Mint, clove, cinnamon, licorice root, pine nuts,and dark chocolate, with a surprising dose of gin botanicals throughout
- Taste: Rye spices up front, then menthol, mint, eucalyptus, herbal tea with wildflower honey and all spice
- Finish: Cinnamon and mint, gradually sweetening through the finish, with a hint of anise
Double Rye: A blend of straight Rye whiskeys ranging in age from 2 to 16 years. Straight Rye whiskeys: 95% rye, 5% barley malt from MGP & 53% rye, 37% corn, 10% barley malt from Barton Distillery.
===== GUEST POST =======
The original’s rye night contained:
- Iowa – Cody Road 100% Rye 40%
- Washington – Cascadia Rye (Português Port Barrels) 43.5%
- Utah – High West Whiskey Double Rye 46%
You can also find Whisky Lady in India on:
- Facebook Whisky Lady in India – https://www.facebook.com/WhiskyLadyIN
- Twitter @WhiskyLadyIN