After trying the AD Laws Triticum, we weren’t quite sure what to expect with Hordeum.
What did our ladies think?
- Nose – Still quite raw like the Triticum, yet sweeter, hints of flowers like rose or bluebells, more hay-like than uncooked porridge, woodsy with dry sawdust, a hint of varnish, liquorice and maple
- Palate – Grain sweet, grassy, hay, corn syrup, becoming almost aggressively grainy
- Finish – Grassy, grain
- Water – Anti-climatic
Overall we found it “better but….” One joked that this whisky could be a muscly farm man on his tractor!
After trying Triticum on ice, I thought to see if the same trick worked with the Hordeum. What did I find? Quite sharp, brings out the spice and looses the maple sweet twist.
While this particular whisky may not be to my taste, I love that they are experimenting I also absolutely love their bottles! The 375 ml is just the right size as a decanter and no doubt will find future use.
Here is what the folks over at AD Laws have to say about their Hordeum:
One of the world’s first cultivated grains, hordeum, or wild barley grass, grew from an agricultural staple to ultimately reach its pinnacle in whiskey making. Every bottle of A.D. Laws Hordeum Straight Barley Whiskey is a nod to this ancestral grain and its singularity. Our atypical on-grain, sour mash style, coupled with Colorado mountain barley, imparts a unique character to this whiskey. Locally roasted artisan malts lend a nutty flavor, while hints of stewed fruit complement its sweet malt backbone. This grain forward, single malt whiskey showcases the native terroir of Colorado.
- 99% Colorado-grown malted barley with a splash of rye
- Aged 3 years in full-sized 53 gallon new American white oak barrels
- Classic open air, sour mash fermentation
- Distilled twice through our Vendome 4-plate pot/column still
- Bottled at 85 Proof
We sampled their recipe B and our bottle indicated it was aged for 2 not 3 years.
What all did we try in our “out of ordinary” evening?
- Shelter Point Single Malt (2016, Batch #1) 46%
- Westland Single Malt 46%
- AD Laws Triticum Straight Wheat 2 year (Batch #1B) 50%
- AD Laws Hordeum Straight Malt 2 year (Batch #1B) 42.5%
You can also find Whisky Lady in India on: