Next in our “out of the ordinary” North American evening was another offering from Westland.
So when our American “mule” asked what he could bring this time from the US – Westland was definitely on the list! He picked up their flagship ‘house style’ whisky made from five different barley malts (Washington Select Pale Malt, Munich Malt, Extra Special Malt, Pale Chocolate Malt, Brown Malt).
And what did we find?
- Nose – Caramel, marmalade, banana, chocolate, praline
- Palate – Subtle, very smooth, buttery, woody, orange peel, bursting with different elements – creamy, slightly salted, toasted wood chips, a little raw paper
- Finish – Slightly spicy
For many ladies, they simply didn’t even try to describe what they found – too caught up in simply enjoying. Clearly a good sign!
And one who did?
“Relax my love, just drink me now.”
So while we were light on observations and comments, we were high on appreciation. In short it was a whisky that satisfied.
Here is what they have to say:
The initial nose provides lemon and orange custard backed by freshly produced waffle cone. Shortly after, a rich creaminess emerges with creme brûlée and chocolate custard while a hint of jasmine hides just beneath the surface. The first sip confirms the creamy and rich fruit custard notes of the nose, adding an element of rainier cherries. After five minutes, melting swiss chocolate is revealed with a hint of almond. Extended tastings brings out bananas and cream with Turkish coffee.
In keeping with new generation new thinking distilleries, the Westland team disclose full details on their approach – from yeast strain to fermentation time. You can find more details here.
What all did we try in our “out of ordinary” American evening?
- Shelter Point Single Malt (2016, Batch #1) 46%
- Westland Single Malt 46% (~2016) – This post
- AD Laws Triticum Straight Wheat 2 year (Batch #1B) 50%
- AD Laws Hordeum Straight Malt 2 year (Batch #1B) 42.5%
You can also find Whisky Lady in India on: