Auchroisk is the last mini in our That Boutique-y Whisky Company Chinese New Year tasting set. Auchroisk isn’t one of those “we have history stretching back hundreds of years” kind of distillery. Nope. It is a more modern entry into the whisky fabric, built in 1974 for blending – think J&B Rare.
What did we discover with this particular cask strength single malt?
Auchroisk 12 year 47.9%, Batch 7 with 2,400 bottles. GBP 23.95
- Nose – Dried leaves, herbal sweet, sweet grass, lemon, sweet spice, caramel, malty, wet cloth, all sweet smoke, think chestnuts roasting
- Palate – Sweet then smoke, restrained yet spicy, herbal – think Underberg
- Finish – Very dry, more of that nutty slightly sweet element
I honestly wasn’t sure I would like this one… nothing against the distillery but with the lovely summer weather I wasn’t keen on even a lightly smoky dram. Whereas this one so gently curled that element into the mix and was so smooth and easy to sip that any misgiving dissipated! Instead, it became more and more enjoyable… it was completely lip smacking in a delightfully autumnal way.
What do the folks over at Master of Malt have to say?
The zombie apocalypse has returned in the form of the seventh batch of this delicious indie Auchroisk! This one was matured for 12 wonderful years before the folks at That Boutique-y Whisky Company bottled it up at 47.9% ABV. If you look very carefully at the blood-curdling label, you’ll see that, amidst the chaos of finding people to recruit to the undead, one of the zombies has found the time to get his hair dyed. Self care, and all that.
Tasting Note by The Chaps at Master of Malt
- Nose: Through dry smoke there’s fresh malt, lemon peel and dark berry syrup, with plenty of toffee, coconut husk and brittle.
- Palate: Warming baking spice adds an initial burst of spice. Lime peel, caramel and orchard fruit bring sweetness. A little salinity and smoke develop underneath.
- Finish: Delicately sweet with some prickles from ginger root.
Here’s the full set from That Boutique-y Whisky Company:
- Teaninich 11 year 47.9%, Batch 2
- Glenburgie 8 year 55.2%, Batch 5
- Speyside #3 8 year 50.7%, Batch 1
- Linkwood 10 year 48.2%, Batch 7
- Auchroisk 12 year 47.9%, Batch 7
If you don’t want to miss a post, why not follow Whisky Lady on: