Unfortunately by the time I got around to suggesting to my fellow European based Whisky Ladies that we might want to try a box from The Whisky Warehouse No. 8 – this dram was long gone – both as a sample and the full bottle. Pity.
However my virtual tasting companions were quite happy with their alternative – a Tomatin 9 year (2011).
Benrinnes 19 year (1997 / 2016) 52.9%
- Nose – Subtle, fruity with sweet grass, a bit shy yet lovely, some tobacco leaf, walnut and raspberries
- Palate – Gorgeous! Something very unusual – a curious sweetness that strangely reminded me of skunk – sounds horrible but it wasn’t. There was a rusty rustic spice, more fruit and berries, beeswax, ginger, cinnamon
- Finish – More of the sweet spices with a sprinkle of salt on top – lovely
This was again a whisky that needs a bit of time to open up… become sweeter the longer it aired… taking on an increasing honey fruity sweetness mixed with light cereals, sweet grass or fresh tobacco leaf.
Unfortunately just as this dram was no longer available to purchase, the notes and any further details have disappeared from The Whisky Warehouse No 8 website!
However my tasting companions and I overall enjoyed our quartet from The Whisky Warehouse No 8… there wasn’t much debate about our preferences with:
- The Linkwood 11 year (2007 / 2019) 58.2% was a clear favourite!
- It was followed by our respective separate samples – my companions enjoyed their Tomatin and I think this Benrinnes
- Next up was the Auchentoshan 18 year (1998 / 2017) 48.3%
- Closing with the Dailuaine 11 year (2007 / 2020) 61.5%
For me it was such a delight to be sampling from India, sitting at my very unique desk… an old piano lovingly refurbished by my husband, repurposed to become a comfortable creative corner in our country home. In the background I could hear the cicadas and soft music selected for the evening… my belly happily full of home made dosas with delicious peanut coconut chutney… our pair of country cats curled up companionably together on the bed behind me… perfection!
If you don’t want to miss a post, why not follow Whisky Lady on:
- WordPress https://whiskylady.co/
- FaceBook Whisky Lady in India – https://www.facebook.com/WhiskyLadyIN
- Twitter @WhiskyLadyIN