- Nose – Had a similar yoghurt quality, yet with more character and oomph! than the Timorous Beastie, zest of lemon rind, barley, young, mild yet fruity – particularly melon, some smoked sweet bacon or other sweet meats, agave then quite a bit of brine
- Palate – Nice spice, sweet, skirting on the surface, amazingly balanced, nothing harsh, a hint of pipe tobacco, honey, cherry bokum pickle, ginger, briney
- Finish – Nice long finish, salted caramel, cinnamon, sawdust, for some too salty on the finish for many
- Water – Opens up more, removes the edge, salty, adds a dash of cayenne, paprika, makes it smoother
There was a sense that this is from a similar ‘family’ as the Timorous Beastie however also had its unique variation, like siblings.
Many found Rock Oyster just like one would expect from the name, salty raw oysters, the feel of being on a boat, the distinctive pervasive smell of barnacles, a tidal pool of salty whisky.
At cask strength, it is also very deceptive, giving no hint of the power behind its smooth briney swish.
There was a clear divide between those who enjoy salty whiskies and those who do not care for this maritime style.
Here’s what they have to say:
Introducing Douglas Laing’s Rock Oyster Cask Strength; the super-charged partner to the original Rock Oyster bottled at 57.4% ABV. Containing the finest Malt Whiskies from Scotland’s Whisky Islands, including those distilled on Islay, Arran, Orkney and Jura, this Limited Edition delivers a massive amplification of all those coastal qualities from the original Rock Oyster.
Anticipate a blast of sea air on the nose and a tempestuously oceanic storm on the palate. Rock Oyster Cask Strength delivers a big peat hit full of Islay phenols, iodine and coal dust, with a shake of pepper softening to a distinct honey sweetness from the Arran casks. The Isle of Jura brings waves of citrus and barley to the mix, and Orkney fetches up some salt from the deep.
What were the whisky blends explored?
- Highland blend – Timorous Beastie 46.8%
- Lowland blend – Epicurean 46.2%
- Sansibar’s Spicily Sweet 48%
You can also find Whisky Lady in India on: