Carissa’s tasting notes:
- Nose – Light, sweet, sprightly, a bit of banana, hints of vanilla, some honey, a whiff of spice all typical of an ex bourbon cask, mellowed into a soft caramel
- Palate – Some fruit – apples and pears, very smooth and easy to drink, a hint of sweet spice like cinnamon, malty cereal
- Finish – Was there a finish? Maybe a little light whisky sweetness…
- Water – Hmm… honestly don’t… it was already quite ‘thin’ to our palates now more attuned to cask strength than 40%… and the whisky character is already quite restrained so best avoided
Overall we found it was a good start to the evening – one of those eminently accessible whiskies. While it doesn’t challenge, it does an admirable job of lubricating the senses with a sweet, sociable, uncomplicated yet pleasant whisky.
Here’s what the folks over at Bushmills have to say about their 10 year:
Bushmills Single Malt Whiskey 10 year old is triple distilled from 100% malted barley and matured for at least 10 years in bourbon season barrels which give it it’s honey, vanilla and milk chocolate aroma.
It can be served neat, over ice or if you’re feeling a little more adventurous, try it frozen.
We didn’t try it frozen, however…in a muggy Mumbai May night? Perhaps that wouldn’t be such a bad thing.
Extra special treat for this sessions are guest reviews by different Whisky Ladies of Mumbai!
- Bushmills 16 year 40% – Guest review by Paula
- Bushmills 21 year 40% – Guest review by Shruti
- Bushmills Steamship 40% – Guest review by Susan
- Connemara NAS 40% – Guest review by Lina
From time to time, you can also find other whisky related updates and activities on: