To the casual observer, it may seem slightly absurd that one woman living in Mumbai could be part of three whisky tasting groups. Yet each are unique and completely delightful.
Particularly our Whisky Ladies group attracts quite a bit of… ahem… gentlemanly attention with many men wishing to crash our female only party.
However the lads over at our Bombay Malt & Cigar club are a rather more civilised lot. Clever gents, they knew the best way to enjoy an evening with the ladies would be to extend a gracious invitation to the mysterious whisky women of Mumbai.
And thus the Irish night was conceived!
While it didn’t take 9 months for this momentum occasion to become a reality, many most amusing efforts went into selecting more sociable Irish whiskies, with the gentlemen taking full charge of sourcing everything from the whiskies to pipettes to acquiring more Glencairn classes to even glass covers!
At one point some 10+ whiskies were being bandied about as options, however in the end they settled on:
- Bushmills 10 year 40%
- Bushmills 16 year 40% (Guest post by Paula)
- Bushmills 21 year 40% (Guest post by Shruti)
- Bushmills Steamship 40% (Guest post by Susan)
Then a few more were added as ‘bonus’ whiskies:
- Connemara NAS 40% for our ‘peaty’ lady who prefers her drams to have a bit of smoke (Guest post by Lina)
- Plus a little Tyrconnell 10 year Madeira Cask popped out to accompany desert
- And then… completely unplanned… a very special treat for those lasses who stayed on til the wee hours… (after all, good things come to those that wait!)
As always, the proof of what proved most popular is what was consumed most during the evening… in this case, the evidence is quite clear! The Bushmill’s 21 year beat the pants off the entire competition. Followed by the 16, 10 and Steamship lagged behind…
Our venue host personally cooked an Irish stew as the focus entrée of a fabulous sit down dinner which followed our slightly inebriated pronouncements about the various drams. We even had an Irish themed assortment of music and naturally much merriment was had by all!
To say the lads fully embraced our Irish evening is a wee bit of an understatement.
As for the lasses? Let’s just say we are plotting how to return the courtesy… with a theme that may completely disrupt normal notions of what defines a good dram!
From time to time, you can also find other whisky related updates and activities on:
- Facebook Whisky Lady in India – https://www.facebook.com/WhiskyLadyIN
- Twitter @WhiskyLadyIN