Fellow Canadian Paula McGlynn is our 1st guest whisky reviewer…
What matters to our Whisky Ladies in Mumbai, is she’s the kind of lass that will track down a new whisky experiment from Canada, take an hour off from shooting in Goa to zip over to Paul John to collect a coveted bottle of Peated or pop into WhiskyLive when in South Africa… just because… whisky!
Here is what Paula has to say about the Bushmills 16 year….
Bushmills Single Malt Whiskey 16 year old is aged for 16 years in a combination of Oloroso Sherry and Bourbon-seasoned casks, then matured for several months in port wine barrels.
Paula’s Tasting Notes
- Color: Amber
- Nose: Sweet and subtle nose. Burnt sugar, toffee, citrus, overall restrained.
- Palette: Cinnamon, caramel, marmalade, orange peel, star anise.
- Finish: It hangs at the back of the tongue. Fennel and spice.
- Water: Leather and more spice. Not recommended. It damps it down, but it was noted that after sitting for a while, the water brings out more of the Port notes.
Overall it is reserved and subtle but clean. Retains the distinct sweetness characteristic of Bushmills expressions.
“The unique maturation process gives this single malt its distinct notes of juicy fruits, nuts and spice, as well as a hint of ruby redness.
It’s best enjoyed neat or over ice.”
It was also awarded Gold at the 2010 San Francisco World Spirits Competition.
PS In the consumption contest, Bushmills 16 year was 2nd!
More reviews by different Whisky Ladies of Mumbai:
- Bushmills 10 year 40% – Review by Carissa
- Bushmills 16 year 40% – Guest review by Paula (this review)
- Bushmills 21 year 40% – Guest review by Shruti
- Bushmills Steamship 40% – Guest review by Susan
- Connemara NAS 40% – Guest review by Lina
You can also find Whisky Lady in India on: