Is it a blend? A single malt? Clearly Ballantine’s Signature Distillery Collection are blends… yet are they the slippery slope of introducing loyal blend fans to single malts? Or trying to woo promiscuous single malt explorers to the land of blends by enticing with ‘showcasing’ Ballantine’s ‘iconic malts’?
My curiosity got the better of me…. so picked up this sample pack in Singapore and cracked it open a cool December evening with a merry malt mistress!
Here’s what they have to say about their special Ballantine’s 17 year olds:
Ballantine’s Scapa 17 year 40%
Its rich sweet top dressing contributes to the initial burst of fruity and floral flavours providing the Ballantine’s 17 year Old blend with incredibly smooth, rare and delicate notes.
Ballantine’s Miltonduff 17 year 40%
Its cinnamon spiced notes bring warmth to the Ballantine’s 17 year old blend while its creamy sweet texture forms the foundation of the blend.
Ballantine’s Glenburgie 17 year 40%
Its fruity, floral and rich-flavoured malt sits at the heart of the original Ballantine’s 17 year old blend.
Ballantine’s Glentauchers 17 year 40%
Its delicate fruit and rich nutty flavours form the Ballantine’s 17 year old blend’s long sweet and smooth finish.
Here is what they say about their standard Ballantine’s 17 year:
- Nose – Deep, balanced, elegant and smooth with hints of sweet vanilla, oak and a sensation of smoke
- Taste – Full and complex, vibrant honey sweetness and creamy vanilla flavours with hints of oak and spicy liquorice
- Body – Full, creamy, luscious
- Character – Creamy, harmonious & oak-sweetness
- Colour – Clear, golden amber
- Finish – Long, sweet and smooth with a hint of spice
What did we find? Ah… you will just have to check out the links to the different expressions:
- Ballantine’s 17 year Scapa 40%
- Ballantine’s 17 year Miltonduff 40%
- Ballantine’s 17 year Glenburgie 40%
- Ballantine’s 17 year Glentauchers 40%
You can also find Whisky Lady in India on:
- Facebook Whisky Lady in India – https://www.facebook.com/WhiskyLadyIN
- Twitter @WhiskyLadyIN
What a great series to review. I had a similar pack but that was for the Chivas 18. Never thought of reviewing each one individually like you have. Great read!
LikeLiked by 1 person
It was fun to take this approach. I wish more companies would do these expression packs with just enough to get a real feel for a whisky – including being able to share a dram or two with someone else – but not shell out so much for a full bottle.
Will check out what you found with the Chivas 18!