Last in our Ballantine’s Signature Distillery Collection was Glentauchers.
While there is apparently an official bottling kicking around, it certainly isn’t one our merry malters have stumbled across… not even readily listed online at either Master of Malt or The Whisky Exchange.
More typically, Glentauchers is found in Ballantine’s and Teacher’s – both widely consumed blends. As in 99% of it goes to blends! So you can appreciate my interest in exploring a sense of its character through Ballantine’s eyes (or taste buds / nose as the case may be!).
Ballantine’s Glentauchers 17 year 40%
- Nose – Strong nose, piney notes, earthy like a forest, toasted hazelnuts, a nougaty sweetness… as it continued to air after 15-20 minutes it was like reaching out to dip your hand straight into a honey-comb with the bees still buzzing!
- Taste – Slightly bitter, hint of spice, much lighter body than the nose, smooth
- Finish – Bitter almonds, like the Glenburgie, an unremarkable finish yet a far easier dram
- Overall – The nose showed promise which alas didn’t carry through on the palate… however at least the nutty quality continued throughout in a rather pleasant way. Overall, quite a drinkable dram.
The preferred setting for this whisky? Could drink by the fire, in a more social manner with the caveat that it goes down so smoothly that you may not even realise that you’d finished it and reached out for more!
Overall, I must say, it was interesting to have a blend pay homage to the characters of its single malt components. We each did our ‘preference’ line-up… for my friend it was:
- Miltonduff by a mile, then Glentauchers, Scapa and Glenburgie
For me, it was along the same lines, except I would swap the ‘last’ two with Glenburgie just a smudge ahead of the Scapa.
But the very fact that the Miltonduff even made both of us pay attention was saying something.
- Welcome to Ballantine’s Signature Distillery Collection 17 year
- Ballantine’s 17 year – Miltonduff 40%
- Ballantine’s 17 year – Glenburgie 40%
- Ballantine’s 17 year – Scapa 40%
You can also find Whisky Lady in India on: