Though the humble grain is mostly found in blends, the Whisky Ladies are no stranger to exploring grains…
Just a couple that come to mind include….
- A highlight from Canada with Sheringham William’s White double distilled grain whisky 2015 Batch 1308 45% with its cherry sourdough nutty sweetness
- And a decided lowlight from the US with AD Laws Triticum Straight Wheat 2 year (Batch #1B) 50%, whose experiments did not exactly bowl us over!
All of our earlier grain experiences were mingled with trying malts or blends, so when it came time to decide a theme anchored by Suntory’s grain whisky Chita, we decided to go all out with grains!
We put out the word and here is what turned up!
- Haig Club 40% – Popularized by David Beckham, this grain is from Cameronbridge distillery in Fife, on the edge of Eastern Highlands and Lowlands
- Suntory Chita NAS 43% – A key element in Suntory’s popular Hibiki blend which brings together the Chita grain with Hakushu and Yamazaki
- Nikka Coffey Grain 45% – Likely a core element in Super Nikka Blend, it was terrific to revisit as we last tasted it over two years ago in April 2016 and enjoyed its piña colada character. This time? Quite different…
- Cambus Single Grain 24 year (1991/2015) Cask 55891 51.9% – From a Lowland discontinued distillery, part of Singatory’s Vintage edition, picked up from Whisky Live Singapore 2017…. one of those delightful drams that you are lucky to try if you can!
And here is a selection of other grain tasting experiences:
- Chita Single Grain Whisky 12 year 43%
- Girvan Patent Still Grain 28 years 42%
- Greenore Single Grain 18 years 46%
- Hyde Single Grain Burgandy Finish 46%
- Invergordon Single Grain 28 year DL 11004 56.5% Douglas Laing’s Old Particular
- Strathclyde Single Grain 25 year (1990/2016) DL11335 51.1% Douglas Laing’s Old Particular
- Teeling Single Grain Wine Cask 46%
You can find more on a page dedicated just to Grains here.
Want even more Whisky Lady posts? Follow this blog on: