It seemed a fitting close to our American whisky evening…
Woodford Reserve (2015) 43.2%
Batch 133, Bottle 1814, bottling date 05/2015, Lot Code 2020964
- Nose – Honeycomb, cinnamon, toffee,
- Palate – Bannana cream pie, sweet spices, mellow
- Finish – A slight burn then mellows into sweetness
We found the nose far richer than the palate, with it being a bit average. A few comments included “Mild and cuddly” and “Very inoffensive” with a sigh of “No spark” and gasp – “Watery.”
Clearly our ladies prefer their drams with a bit more oomph!
When sampled solo later, I realized this was in large part as it was overshadowed by all the whiskies that proceeded our tasting. On its own, it is a classic bourbon – which isn’t for everyone’s taste but is a good representation of what Kentucky has to offer without the harshness found in some.
Here is what the folks over at Woodford Reserve have to say:
- Appearance: Clean, brilliant honey amber.
- Nose: Heavy with rich dried fruit, hints of mint and oranges covered with a dusting of cocoa. Faint vanilla and tobacco spice.
- Taste: Rich, chewy, rounded and smooth, with complex citrus, cinnamon and cocoa. Toffee, caramel, chocolate and spice notes abound.
- Finish: Silky smooth, almost creamy at first with a long, warm satisfying tail.
There is also some debate out there to what extent there is batch variation. Some have found earlier batches much more robust, well-rounded than current batches.
Having only tried Woodford once before… and that to long before recording any tasting notes… can only say this isn’t bad but isn’t something to make me run out and buy.
I do wonder if it would make a brilliant base for some experimental American style cocktails. Perhaps for another evening!
Other whiskies sampled in our American evening included:
- Pine Barrens Single Malt (Batch 13) 47.5%
- Stranahan’s Original (Batch 182) 47%
- Westland Sherry Wood 46%
- Ole Smoky Tennessee Moonshine 50%
- A.D. Laws Four Grain Straight Bourbon (Batch 8) 47.5%
- Woodford Reserve (Batch 133) 43.2% (Bottle 1814) (this post)
You can also find Whisky Lady in India on: