Our monthly whisky sessions tend to have a theme. As our host curates the evening, planning and sourcing is completely his or her domain – we never know what we are in for!
However… there are some clues… for example, one of our club members used to travel to the US for work. So… no surprise that his session had a decidedly American twang with two Bourbons and a Rye!
We toured three different states – Kentucky, New York and Colorado.
First up from Kentucky was the Russel’s Reserve!
Small batch Kentucky straight bourbon matured in ‘alligator-charred’ virgin American oak casks.
- Colour – Bright amber (don’t let the pic fool you!)
- Nose – Banana caramel desert, vanilla, spirity with a slightly peaty element, agarbati smoke, curry leaves with a faint hint of fresh mint sprigs
- Taste – Bitter kerela, baby puke sour, dry and oaky
- Finish – Still bitter
- Water – BLAND, tamed the sharpness but added nothing new
Conclusion – A nice, easy drinking whisky. And we all enjoy a bit of that from time to time!
Here’s what the folks over at Wild Turkey have to say:
Master distillers and premier whiskey makers Jimmy and Eddie Russell have brought nearly 100 years of combined experience to artfully crafting Russell’s Reserve 10 Year Old Bourbon. Bottled at 90 proof, this hand selected small batch bourbon has a rich, caramel and vanilla taste and a uniquely smooth finish.
- New York – Rough Rider ‘Bull Moose’ Three Barrel Rye, 45%
- Colorado – Rocky Mountain Breckenridge Special Release 43%
You can also find Whisky Lady in India on: