This wasn’t our first flirtation with American whiskies… nope we had an earlier evening combining some whisky standards in cocktails. However that night there was only one American single malt (Hudson).
For this evening, we planned three whiskies which somehow morphed into five bottles and a jar – funny how that happens with these ladies!
In this case we managed to get our hands on:
- Westland Sherry Wood 46%
- Pine Barrens Single Malt (Batch 13) 47.5%
- Stranahan’s Original (Batch 182) 47%
- A.D. Laws Four Grain Straight Bourbon (Batch 8) 47.5%
- Woodford Reserve (Batch 133) 43.2%
- Ole Smoky Tennessee Moonshine 50% (not in photo)
The Whisky Ladies debated the whisky tasting order for our American adventures and finally decided to split the evening between single malts – moonshine – bourbons.
Then came the question of which whisky to start our evening off with… given Pine Barrens is known for being geared towards beer drinkers, we thought it a rather fitting start!
From there we moved on to Colorado’s Stranahan’s which… ahem… reminded us why we don’t tend to be big American whisky fans.
Followed by the lovely Westland Sherry which reminded us to stop being such whisky snobs and simply enjoy a good dram!
Break time with the Ole Smoky – dutifully drunk straight from the jar. It felt like we were channeling our inner “Mellie” Grant with her moonshine stashes all over the White House (Scandal).
Then we cracked open the AD Laws Four Grain Straight Bourbon, pronouncing it rather yummy, partly as it isn’t a typical bourbon.
And finally closed our evening with a proper bourbon – the Woodford Reserve.
Other American adventures:
- Whisky Ladies go American! Jack Daniels Old No 7 40%, Hudson Single Malt 46%, Jim Bean 40%, Knobs Creek 9 yr 50% (with Shatbhi Basu of DISCUS)
- Bring on the bourbon and rye! Blanton’s Single Barrel Bourbon, Russell’s Reserve, Rough Rider Bull Moose Three Barrel Rye, Breckenridge Special Release
- Kentucky Straight Bourbon: Elijah Craig, WL Weller Special Reserve, 1792 Ridgemount Reserve, Buffalo Trace + Blanton’s Single Barrel Bourbon
- Do also check out the new North American whiskies page!
You can also find Whisky Lady in India on:
- Facebook Whisky Lady in India – https://www.facebook.com/WhiskyLadyIN
- Twitter @WhiskyLadyIN