This Kentucky small batch bourbon wasn’t originally part of the trio, however our host received it as a rather timely gift and decided to bring it along as an “appetizer” to our main “meal.”
However, true to our tasting traditions… we sampled each first neat, then some added water, then each bourbon was set aside until all were tasted for a revisit… followed by closing which whisk(e)y we thought could best partner our cigar.
Four Roses Small Batch 45%
- Colour – Bright yellow straw
- Nose – Musty sweet mash, wood, bit of citrus, pear drops, oily orange, sweet tobacco leaf or sweet grass, loads of sour mash, hay…
- Palate – Very smooth and a bit peppery
- Finish – Orange zest with some thinking perhaps a chaser of anise
- Water – Makes it spicier initially then once it settles down simply dilutes
- Revisit – Coming back for a revisit after sampling the others – wow! Pear with sweet white flowers, certainly very easy going
Overall? We were reminded of why this bourbon came to mind in our collective short list. Truth be told, most of us are not typically bourbon drinkers unless it happens to be cocktail hour! In which case, having a base with more power is preferred.
As for what the folks over at Four Roses have to say?
- Nose – Mellow spice, rich fruit, hints of sweet oak & caramel.
- Palate – Mellow, ripened red berries, dried spice, well-balanced, rich.
- Finish – Soft, smooth & pleasantly long.
We tried it from a closed bottle in Mumbai on March 2019.
As for what this would set you back? It remains quite affordable… currently selling on Master of Malt for approx $30.
- Clyde May’s Straight Bourbon Recipe No 2 46%
- Breaker Bourbon Port Barrel Finish Batch No 5 45%
- Bib & Tucker 10 year 66.6%
You can also find Whisky Lady in India on: