The last La Maison du Whisky’s Artist Series #12 at Paris Whisky Live 2022 I sampled was a move to Tobermoray distillery with a heavily peated whisky. I knew this was the one to close – after this, anything subtle or nuanced would be lost without a proper palate cleanser! And it didn’t disappoint!
What more do the folks at LMdW have to say (courtesy of Google translate)?
- Nose : rich, concentrated. Particularly intense and evocative, the first nose reveals a rather dry compact peat, rooty and at the same time of great elegance. Then, aromas of cherries in eau-de-vie and apricot highlight the quality of aging in sherry casks, very well integrated. Allowed to breathe, the aromatic palette becomes increasingly heady (lily, freesia), exotic (mango, persimmon) and superbly chocolaty. The whole shows a radiant harmony.
- Appearance : orange copper.
- Palate : lively, tempestuous. Percussive, the attack on the palate is a faithful synthesis of the nose. Very quickly, however, an increasingly chocolatey and above all more saline peat takes things in hand. In the mid-palate, it takes on medicinal (arnica), camphorated, animal (bacon) and empyreumatic (sandalwood, chimney fire) tones. The finish suggests a distillate with fruity (raspberry) and lemony flavors.
- Overall : long, deep. Marked by notes of slightly damp earth, the start of the finish is subtly floral (poppy, cornflower, violet). The peat has calmed down, becoming more liquoricey and finely peppery. With its flavors of curry and ylang-ylang, the aftertaste is undeniably oriental. In the retro-nasal olfaction, once again very present, peat occupies the center of the palate, allowing the deliciously sweet juice of a ripe apricot to flow. The empty glass is nobly spiced (cardamom, saffron, ginger)
And this concludes my journey through the Artist Series #12 with:
- Clynelish 30+ year (1990/2022) Ex Bourbon Cask No 3477 47.7%
- Benrinnes 10+ year (2011/2022) 1st Fill Sherry Cask No 307205 58.7%
- Glenrothes 25+ year (1995/2022) 1st Fill Sherry Cask No 6983 55.8%
- Bunnahabhain 40+ year (1977/2022) Sherry Butt No 7602 47.2%
- Bowmore 20+ year (2001/2022) 1st Fill Sherry Butt No 102 54.8%
- Ledaig 15+ year (2005/2022) Refill Butt No 90037 64.8% – This post
If you don’t want to miss a post, why not follow Whisky Lady on: