Karuizawa 1999 12 year 58.9%
Bottled 24 Oct 2011, Single Cask #867 with 204 bottles
What did I find?
- Nose – Lots of dark fruits, dusty
- Palate – Spice, gorgeous complex character
- Finish – Long yet quite subtle, lots of figs, dry and bitter
The challenge with dark, rich, intense whiskies is they can become a little too overpowering. This was not the case here… it held back from overwhelming. While it had a lovely nose, it was the taste and finish that really stood out.
While I doubt I will have a chance to try something like this again, am glad I had this opportunity.
Other rare Japanese whiskies sampled:
- Ichiro’s Malt – Houou-uhi (Phoenix) 46.5%
- Karuizawa Asama 46%
- Karuizawa 39 year (1973/2013) Cask No 1607 67.7%
You can also find Whisky Lady in India on: