Our Whisky Ladies Compass Box evening kicked off with Spice Tree Extravaganza followed by Great King Street – Experimental Batch. A few of us were familiar with the Artist’s Blend and Glasgow variants, yet all were new to this one…
Compass Box Great King Street Experimental Batch TR-06 (03 Sept 2013) 43% Bottle 1534 of 3815, 500 ml
- Nose – Light smoke, very sweet, honey, vanilla custard, as it opened a hint of mosambi peel or its fragrant zest
- Palate – Smooth, fabulous mouth feel, quite unctuous, not heavy, instead almost gentle yet full flavoured, delicately balanced between sweet, light spice and smoke with descriptions like “mouth-watering” and “lip smacking”
- Finish – Spice and smoke curling and swirling about for a long time, closing with peppers and a faint almost bitter citrus peel
This was a terrific start to our evening, with a whisky that is quite accessible, one to sit, savour and enjoy, becoming sweeter and smoother with each sip.
We discussed how it falls between the flavour profile of Artist’s Blend and Glasgow Blend, veering more towards the Artist end of the spectrum. For one, the standard Artist’s Blend remains a favourite, for others this one simply hit its mark and was a lovely start to our Compass Box evening!
Here is what the Compass Box folks have to say about this whisky:
“Complex, smoky and aromatic with notes of seaweed, mint, salt spray and an underlying dried fruit sweetness.”
This 500ml bottle was purchased at Le Clos at Dubai International Airport in June 2017 for AED 115, sampled from an unopened bottle in July 2017.
Our Compass Box evening included:
- Spice Tree Extravaganza Special Edition 46%
- Hedonism 43%
- Flaming Heart 15th Anniversary Limited Edition (July 2015) 48.9%
- Peat Monster 46%
You can also find Whisky Lady in India on: