Wolfburn is a newer distillery, promising for its sweet minerally new make spirit. These were at best fleeting impressions as I stopped by the Wolfburn booth towards the end of my sampling explorations… at that stage where you have nearly had enough.
Wolfburn Northland 46% – ex-Bourbon
- Nose – Quite oaky, raw cereal,
- Palate – Young but… sweet, lightly floral, slightly nutty
- Finish – Spice and is there just a bit of peat too?
Wolfburn Aurora 46% – ex-Bourbon and ex-Sherry
- Nose – Sweet yet restrained, pineapple or melon, yoghurt
- Palate – Barely there… Sweet spice… a sense of being raw yet very sweet
- Finish – Spice
Wolfburn Morven 46% – Peat
- Nose – Young, organic, oaky
- Palate – Light peat, an odd quality, some spice
- Finish – Burn
To be honest, it didn’t work for me… however it was just a wee brush…
All said, it was good to zip through this trio… reinforces a preference to wait a few more years to see what Wolfburn does with a bit more time.
Other brushes with Wolfburn?
- Woflburn 1st batch – Part of an original evening
- Morven vs Aurora – Part of a samples evening after WhiskyLive 2017