I had high hopes that November would finally after two years bring a visit from my better half to Germany! We’ve always tried to celebrate our “birthday week” together… alas… this year wasn’t possible.
So I planned a few whisky distractions… which started at the end of October with an online multi-country tasting of Germany whiskies… continued with even more German whisky explorations… and some unfortunate news about Ziegler distillery!
So what did we try? I picked a set from St Kilian distillery:
- Signature Edition ‘One’ (2016/2019) 45%
- Signature Edition ‘Four’ Peated (2016/2020) 48%
- Signature Edition ‘Six’ (2016/2020) 47.5%
I’ll admit I snuck in an additional one for just me and my Parisian companion:
- Signature Edition ‘Seven’ (2017/2021) 51.75%
A weekend get away led to an experimental bent trying two German whiskies and an old familiar:
- Black Forest Wild Whisky Peated 42% – A sad sample that simply didn’t make our minimum standards
- J. B. G. Single Grain Whisky 42% – Surprisingly smooth, most enjoyable
- Longrow Peated 46% – Springbank’s answer to peat
This was followed by the unfortunate news that Ziegler distillery has decided to radically change course and effectively abandon their Aureum whisky line. I managed to get my hands on their Classic 8 year, Chestnut Cask 5 year, Cask Strength 8 year, joining my earlier purchase of their 10 year Cask Strength whisky. I won’t be opening these bottles anytime soon and still hope the decision to change direction will be changed again!
I also did a bit of “blog” housekeeping, ditching a dozen half written posts from years ago – all the way back to 2015! Only a few were ‘brushed off’ and posted as musings of tastings gone by…
- WhiskyLive 2018’s rum journey with Luca Gargano and Hampden Last Ward and FourSquare Destino Rum, Caroni 20 and 22 year
- Arran 14 year mini compared with a more recent full bottle – both yum!
Curious to know more? Check out a few more monthly summaries:
- Whisky Lady – October 2021
- Whisky Lady – September 2021
- Whisky Lady – August 2021
- Whisky Lady – July 2021
And if you don’t want to miss a post, why not follow Whisky Lady on:
- WordPress https://whiskylady.co/
- FaceBook Whisky Lady in India – https://www.facebook.com/WhiskyLadyIN
- Twitter @WhiskyLadyIN
Additionally, there are the two ‘off-shoots’ with:
- Whisky Ladies of Mumbai blog with the continuing adventures of the lovely ladies in India
- Whisky Ladies European chapter insta with our new explorations in colder climes!