Here in Germany October is famous for Oktoberfest however its been 2 years with this massive festival officially cancelled.
However that doesn’t stop us from exploring and entertaining ourselves in COVID modified ways! And what better than a weekend jaunt to Berlin to meet a fellow whisky explorer and go back to the fabulous Union Jack whisky bar which is now only open Thursdays and Saturdays.
That evening we explored three sets of “pairings” followed by a complete indulgence!
- Benromach 15 year 43% vs Cragganmore Distillers Edition (2008/2020) 40%
- Tobermory 20 years (1996/2016) 58.8% (The Alambic Classique Collection) vs Bunnahabhain 25 years (2016) 47.7% (Wiebers Brothers)
- Scotch Malt Whisky Society Glenfarclas 1.208 “Long Conversations by the crackling log fire” (1997) 54.3% vs Glenlossie 46.74 “Orchard perambulations” (1997) 54.4%
- Glenglassaugh 40 year (1965) 47.8% (Murray McDavid Mission)
I also caught up with notes from my last Mumbai trip which included An unexpected trio:
- Kamet 42.8% – A new single malt from India
- James Eadie Trade Mark “X” 2017 56.6% – A revival of a Scottish blend
- Compass Box Enlightenment 46% – A more recent special edition from Compass Box
There was also a wee further wander into the past, recalling visits to a whisky shop in Munich… back in the day one could freely travel and browse shelves of carefully selected whiskies and spirits.
Followed by another memory of a remarkable tasting at Lochranza distillery late 2020 with a version of their 25 year old – remarkable!
We closed the month with an online session with a trio of German single malts that were purchased as a “double” set – one that made its way from Nurnberg to Berlin to London to Mumbai and another that only went from Nurnberg to Paris.
So what did we try? I picked a set from St Kilian distillery:
- Signature Edition ‘One’ (2016/2019) 45%
- Signature Edition ‘Four’ Peated (2016/2020) 48%
- Signature Edition ‘Six’ (2016/2020) 47.5%
I’ll admit I snuck in an additional one for just me and my Parisian companion:
- Signature Edition ‘Seven’ (2017/2021) 51.75%
It really felt like a “well-rounded” month of musings and more as we continue to explore the wonderful world of whiskies.
Curious to know more? Check out a few more monthly summaries:
And if you don’t want to miss a post, why not follow Whisky Lady on:
- WordPress https://whiskylady.co/
- FaceBook Whisky Lady in India – https://www.facebook.com/WhiskyLadyIN
- Twitter @WhiskyLadyIN
Additionally, there are the two ‘off-shoots’ with: