My European adventures continued – this time to Scandi country starting on the west coast hopping over to Hven – practically touching Denmark then up to the capital Stockholm on to Gavle with Mackmyra distillery.
What a time to go to Sweden! It was such a fabulous couple of days and well worth the inconveniences of traveling in COVID times.
First up was jaunt from Gothenburg to Laholm to Veen to visit Spirit of Hven where we took a distillery tour and tasted:
Then we popped over to Stockholm and from there to Gavle for a tour of Mackmyra distillery and tasting of:
- Mackmyra Reserve Bourbon Forlagrad (Pre-stored) Fatnr 41155 (2018-10-29 to 2019-05-14) 55%
- Mackmyra Reserve Oloroso Elegant Fatnr 39502 (2016-11-22/ 2020-09-21) 49.6%
- Mackmyra Moments – Brukswhisky DLx Nr 659/1499 46.6%
- Mackmyra Reserve Bourbon Rok 3.5 year Fatnr 7765 (2018-11-13) 50.3%
- Macmyra Reserve New Oloroso Rok Fatrn 38740 (2014-1010/2018-10-10) 57.3%
- Mackmyra Svensk Rok 46.1% WL (2021 distillery visit)
I managed to catch up on some tasting notes from my June Paris trip… which began with sharing a few drams with our Euro Whisky Ladies:
- Arran Quarter Cask The Bothy Cask Strength 56.2%
- Chorlton’s La Nouvelle Vague
Then continued with Maison Benjamin Kuentz where we sampled:
- Aux Particules Vines (1st Edition) 46%
- Aux Particules Vines (4th Edition) 46%
- Aux Particules Vines (5th Edition) 46%
(Tasting notes shared in August!)
However I finally got around to sharing tasting notes about a sextet from German distillery St Kilian. The original plan was to go to the distillery in November 2020 – COVID dropped that idea! Then samples were sent to those who were SUPPOSED to be there. Mine didn’t quite make it in time for the online tasting. It then took me MANY months to crack them open with friends – an interesting experience which ranged from promising to a bit perplexing. I then took even more months to try and track down via two folks I knew received the same samples for more insights. As many months had elapsed with both doing such regular tastings that the details were lost. So I hope I can be forgiven for sharing minimal insights… I’m still curious enough to want to explore more – just not the peated drams!
My month closed with a wee Penderyn virtual tasting and a flight home to Mumbai!
Curious to know more? Check out a few more monthly summaries:
And if you don’t want to miss a post, why not follow Whisky Lady on:
- WordPress https://whiskylady.co/
- FaceBook Whisky Lady in India – https://www.facebook.com/WhiskyLadyIN
- Twitter @WhiskyLadyIN
Additionally, there are the two ‘off-shoots’ with:
- Whisky Ladies of Mumbai blog with the continuing adventures of the lovely ladies in India
- Whisky Ladies European chapter insta with our new explorations in colder climes!