What a month! September started in India and ended back in Germany. As for whisky writing, it brought a nice mix of recalling past whisky experiences, notes from very small in-person gatherings from August and a virtual session in September.
Keeping two aside for the Whisky Ladies of Mumbai, the Glentauchers and Balblair were joined by the Macallan Estate Reserve 45.7%…. a quality dram? To be sure… however it is remarkable as much for its marketing and price tag as liquid!
I then held a couple very small “malty memory mini-lane” wanderings… revisiting favourites like Lochside, Linkwood, Mosstowie, Laphroaig, Pine Barrens and more…
My India trip closed with a wee mini reunion led to being introduced to this unexpected trio:
- Kamet 42.8% – A new, rather promising entrant into Indian single malts
- James Eadie 2017 56.6% – An affordable quality blend from Scotland
- Compass Box Enlightenment 46% – After a long time, we were “enlightened” by a Compass Box limited edition
I also caught up with tasting notes from Bavaria’s Ziegler Distillery… with their Aureum range of single malts covered over two postings:
- Ziegler Distillery Part 1: Ziegler 7 year Single Malt 40%, Aureum Classic 8 year Single Malt 43%, Aureum Chestnut Cask 5 year Single Malt 43%, Aureum Cask Strength 8 year 53.2%
- Ziegler Distillery Part 2: Aureum Grave Digger “The Bruce” Peat 8 year 43%, Aureum The First 2010 Cask Strength 10 year 55.5%, Aureum Port 8 year 68.5%, Aureum PX 8 year 67.5%
What was most impressive was the clear commitment to ‘craft’ – and was the first of what I hope will be more German distillery visits.
It really felt like a “well-rounded” month of musings and more as we continue to explore the wonderful world of whiskies – from new to old, rare to revisits, from India to Germany, blends to single casks, affordable to crazy expensive!
Curious to know more? Check out a few more monthly summaries:
And if you don’t want to miss a post, why not follow Whisky Lady on:
- WordPress https://whiskylady.co/
- FaceBook Whisky Lady in India – https://www.facebook.com/WhiskyLadyIN
- Twitter @WhiskyLadyIN
Additionally, there are the two ‘off-shoots’ with:
- Whisky Ladies of Mumbai blog with the continuing adventures of the lovely ladies in India
- Whisky Ladies European chapter insta with our new explorations in colder climes!