Clearly That Boutique-y Whisky Company has featured prominently in our miniature explorations! However this was our first bourbon bottled by them… and a 24 year old one, no less? We were intrigued…
TBWC 24 year Bourbon No 1 48%
- Nose – Mmmm coconut, lemon, toffee, apples, lots of over ripe fruit, then floral, shifting to sweet grass, then black vanilla being scraped from the pod, sweet leather, rich rum raisin, thick black treacle, molasses morphing into chocolate, then a honey liquor, apricot cream, burnt caramelized baked pineapple, cotton candy
- Palate – Full of flavour too! Red berries, black berries, cherries… gorgeous! As the nose evolved, elements of it could be found swirling around with a great silky sipping sensation. Simply delicious.
- Finish – Truthfully I don’t recall – I didn’t note anything for the finish… and think we were just so taken with the aromas then sipping that nothing else registered!
Can I just say – wow! We went from curious to incredibly impressed with the complexity and range we discovered. There was so much character on the nose which followed through on the palate. The more we sipped, the more we enjoyed.
So what do we know? It is their Batch 1, released in December 2018 with 8,376 bottles. In their quirky style, the folks at TBWC have this to say:
Now, now go about your business please – there’s nothing to see here. Don’t you know you’re in a restricted area? No unauthorised personnel allowed.
- Nose: High notes of dried peel and vanilla, flaming Christmas pudding gives way to pear drops and a light dusting of cocoa powder
- Taste: Insistent, buttery mouthfeel carrying a lorry load of vanilla, caramel and beurre noisette
- Finish: Punchy, warm finish with great balance of the flavours
The recommended retail price on TBWC website is £199.95. All I can say is that I’m delighted it made it into our miniatures so we could sample one!
Here was our full American quartet:
With more from our 2019 Master of Malt Advent Calendar…
- Summer minis – Brenne Cuvée Spéciale French Single Malt Whisky 40%, Mackmyra Äppelblom 46.1%, Mackmyra Glöd 46.1%, Longmorn 10 year Batch 3, 48.3% (TBWC)
- Dunkerton Drams – Nikka Days 40%, Lakes Distillery Steel Bonnets 46.6%, Starward Nova 41%, Fettercairn 10 year 40%
If you don’t want to miss a post, why not follow Whisky Lady on: