June is one of those funny times of year in India… it can be sweltering hot or drowning in the deluge of monsoon… or vacillating somewhere in between.
Enter the Irishman… It was Michael Morris’ 1st trip to India, 1st event kicking off a mini tour of India to soft launch their Quiet Man 8 year.
The venue? Bombay Softel’s Artisan bar… a fitting setting for a convivial gathering…
And the name? After the founder’s father, John Mulgrew who was a bartender all his life and despite hearing many interesting stories over the years, was known to keep quiet.
Talk turned to the resurgence of the Irish whiskey industry…. and where The Quiet Man would like to be in this development. Already available in 26 countries, India is becoming the 27th… setting the stage with their maturation of other distilleries’ whisky before their own is ready.
Michael shared this whisky started its journey at Cooley distillery, triple distilled before being matured in ex bourbon casks.
What did we think?
The Quiet Man 8 year 40%
- Nose – Lovely honey, gentle warm orchard fruits, fresh apples then a citrus or pineapple twist, lightly floral, some oak with a touch of vanilla and was that a hint of toasted coconut?
- Palate – Start off soft and smooth, sweet yet with a woody depth which adds a solid base with fruity top notes of apricot
- Finish – Surprisingly long, strong, bit bitter yet completely pleasant… after a few sips one could discern a clear ginger stamp too
Overall I would say it has subtle substance… a nice, satisfying drinkable dram. Something to reach out for when wanting something easy and uncomplicated.
What do The Quiet Man folks have to say about this dram?
- Sweet and crisp floral fragrances with notes of vanilla and oak
- Hint of honey, warm vanilla and spicy oak, with an exceptionally smooth finish
We sampled the dram both neat and in a few cocktails…
Other Irish tasting evenings and experiences include….
- Original’s Teeling Trip: Single Grain, Single Malt, Small Batch & Madeira Cask Strength
- BMC & Whisky Ladies “Irish Night” with Bushmills 10 year, 16 year, 21 year + Steamship
- Original’s Irish Night – The Wild Geese Rare 43%, Knappogue Castle 14 year 46%, Teeling Small Batch 46%
- Jameson Evening – 10, 12, Gold Reserve and 18 year
- Whisky Live Singapore – Teeling Tasting Trio
You can also find Whisky Lady in India on:
- Facebook Whisky Lady in India – https://www.facebook.com/WhiskyLadyIN
- Twitter @WhiskyLadyIN