I have to admit, Ben Nevis isn’t typically my preferred style of whisky, however, there was no way I would pass up a recommendation from Dave Worthington! Or miss trying a 10th Anniversary dram from That Boutique-y Whisky Company after the absolutely stunning 45 year Grain blend or the delightful Clynelish.
Ben Nevis 25 year (2022) Batch #16 55.8% (TBWC 10th Anniversary) GBP 260 for 500ml
- Nose – Mineraly, salted chocolate, then some fruity elements, then shifting to cheese with a dash of balsamic
- Palate – Spicy and robust, meaty, more of that balsamic, a touch of tobacco
- Finish – Nice peppery finish
Dave described this as a “dirty Ben Nevis – in a good way!” And I would have to agree. Well worth trying… very interesting.
What do the folks at That Boutique-y Whisky Co have to say?
One of the few remaining truly “old-style” producers in Scotland, Ben Nevis has arguably never been as fashionable as it is now, with certain vintages (including this 1996 example) earning devout cult followings.
And the official tasting notes? Entertaining and spot on!
- Nose – Overripe oranges on the turn, waxy shoe polish, a little sour apple juice too. Hints of rancio, dried fruits, and balsamic. Funky!
- Palate – Big, and meaty. Balsamic glaze, dried fruits, leather, tobacco, slightly earthy, waxy, and black pepper. Ooh dirty!! Classic ’96 Ben Nevis!
About the label?
Our label artist Emily Chappell has taken cues from our long-standing Ben Nevis label that features a chap atop Ben Nevis (mountain), looking at Ben Nevis (distillery), drinking Ben Nevis (whisky) and holding Ben Nevis (bottle, featuring the scene again on its label). Here, it’s just the mountain itself in a glass, raised in (Ben’s?) hand for a 10th birthday “cheers”
Their brilliant cheeky “That Boutique-y Whisky Company” 10th Anniversary special drams were also joined by:
- Clynelish 25 year (2022) Batch #11 47.1% (TBWC 10th Anniversary)
- Blended Grain #1 45 year (2022) Batch #3 44.2% (TBWC 10th Anniversary)
If you don’t want to miss a post, why not follow Whisky Lady on:
- WordPress https://whiskylady.co/
- FaceBook Whisky Lady India – https://www.facebook.com/WhiskyLadyIN
- Twitter @WhiskyLadyIN