That Boutique-y Whisky Co floored us with their range at the London Whisky Show. After quite the ‘continental tour’, we simply had to go back to merry old Scotland for a ‘proper’ dram! In this case, part of their “Secret Speyside” series (ahem Glenrothes!)
Speyside #3 (Glenrothes) 6 year (2022) Batch 2, 49.3% (TBWC)
- Nose – Burst of fruits, vanilla, and strawberries with meringue and cream, beneath the sweet dessert was some wood
- Palate – Such a classic quality, full, well-rounded, lovely balance
- Finish – Rich honey
Though it was robust, it could still make a great ‘day dram’ too. The only problem was this clearly isn’t one to just sniff, swish and zip through!
However, one rises to the challenge of such a tasting bounty to keep to a path of light samples, sometimes even veery off the path of whiskies alone! This brings us to our next offering – cheekily crossing out the “whisky” from their That Boutique-y Whisky Company’s label, our attention was drawn to Christian Drouin’s Calvados.
Now… for those less familiar with Calvados, it is a brandy made in Normandy from apples or pears and Christian Drouin is a venerated name for its multi-generation commitment to quality. More recently they have branched out to cidar and gin (Le Gin – beautiful!), however, their core focus remains the family traditions with Calvados.
Christian Drouin Calvados 21 year (Dec 2020/2022) (TBWC)
- Nose – What a delight! Over-ripe stewed apples, butterscotch toffee, dates, yum!
- Palate – Pucker up! This is a serious Calvados – delicious! Think of fresh green young apples which then develop into a delightful apple crisp, sprinkled with roasted nuts and cinnamon on top
Such a treat to try something different like this! Would have loved to try on its own when it isn’t sandwiched between whiskies!
Here’s what the folks at TBWC have to say:
This is a particularly intriguing Calvados from Christian Drouin. The story for this one begins at the very end of the year 2000, when the spirit was distilled.
- N: Rich, fruity and floral. Delicate orchard blossom followed by stewed apples, caramelised poached pears. raisins and Medjool dates. A complex, and dvine nose
- P: Complex and beautifully balanced. Notes of cinnamon baked apples and a delicate wood spice. Waxy wood polish, roast nuts, and raisins. Drying, waxy finish. Just beautiful!
So then… what next? Shsssssshhhhh…. Dave had a nip of something extra special in his hip flask!
If you don’t want to miss a post, why not follow Whisky Lady on:
- WordPress https://whiskylady.co/
- FaceBook Whisky Lady India – https://www.facebook.com/WhiskyLadyIN
- Twitter @WhiskyLadyIN
Nice to see Boutique-y getting into Calvados – as well as a few other spirits categories.
Always entertaining to sample some alternative spirits.
Isn’t it just? 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person