After some absolutely stellar drams sampled at the Gordon & Macphail area, my companion was keen to move on to Macallan at the London Whisky Show.
For all the talk of the mighty Macallan, I’ve had surprisingly few encounters… only three since starting to share tasting notes of which the most remarkable was a special 50th birthday gift!
Not all in the line-up were available for consumption and after already sniffing, swishing, and mostly spitting our way through 14 whiskies, we decided to only try three. So we put ourselves in the hands of the young lady at The Macallan area.
Macallan 15 year Double Cask 43%
- Nose – Sherry yet surprisingly ‘clean’
- Palate – Soft, juicy, what you would expect
- Finish – Very berry on the finish, dry
The young lady walking us through the whiskies, shared her rehearsed speech about sherry-seasoned casks and how the 15-year remains part of their core range.
- Nose – It had a tightly closed nose, then clear sherry aromas
- Palate – Sherry however somehow didn’t quite work
- Finish – OK
To be honest, this was a bit of a disappointment. There was only a hint of the rich smoothness Macallan is known for… At least for us, it was a bit muted.
Our guide shared the intention is to select and bring out each year a new ‘rare cask’.
Macallan Classic Cut (2022) 52.5%
- Nose – Shortcake, dessert, berries
- Palate – Like a muted sherry, with an odd element we didn’t quite catch
- Finish – Sharp
It had a promising nose and I was particularly interested in this expression which has less sherry and more ex-Bourbon casks than The Macallan typically uses.
However either we were simply not catching the true essence with our wee sniff, swish, and spit, or it wasn’t for us. However in fairness, the extremely rare and unique Imperial 42 year and lost Lowland Inverleven 25 year from Gordon & Macphail were a very tough act to follow!
So then… where did our whisky wanderings take us next?? To another favourite – That Boutique-y Whisky Company!
If you are curious about other Macallan‘s I’ve sampled, check out the following:
- Macallan Estate Reserve 45.7% – A very special birthday treat!
- Macallan Terra 43.8% -“Seasoned” 1st fill American and European Oak Cask
- Macallan 15 year 43% – Lesson learned about the perils of poor storage
If you don’t want to miss a post, why not follow Whisky Lady on:
- WordPress https://whiskylady.co/
- FaceBook Whisky Lady India – https://www.facebook.com/WhiskyLadyIN
- Twitter @WhiskyLadyIN