Next up from the Winnipeg stash is a mighty Macallan. Many a malt drinker once upon a time would swear by the quality of their Macallan. And yet, with our three whisky tasting groups in Mumbai, Macallan has yet to feature as a whisky in our tasting sessions.
Hence when I had an opportunity to snag a dram as part of the 2016 Winnipeg whisky sampling stash, simply could not resist!
What did I find?
- Nose – Rose, candy floss, mint… and then erhm…
- Palate – Raisins, citrus… and then umm….
- Finish – Dry fruits and sweet spices… and then huh?
Alas, I waited too long to re-sample this beauty. The first time I took a sip shortly after bringing it from Canada, I simply enjoyed, narry a tasting note in sight! Yet remember it as being a mighty fine dram.
When sampled again today there was a bitter quality I don’t remember and some rather queer off notes. Hence stopped… as what I was experiencing was clearly not representative of the whisky.
So why post? To share a reminder that when taking wee samples, be quick about enjoying if not properly sealed – as was the case here. Sigh… A tragic waste of a fine whisky.
Fortunately, not all whiskies part of the 2016 Canadian stash were spoilt…
- Islay – Ardbeg’s Supernova 55% (Committee Release)
- Highland – Tomatin 12 year 43%
- Japan – Nikka Pure Malt 21 year 43%
- Islay – Bowmore 12 year 40%
- Speyside – Macallan 15 year 43% (this post)
You can also find Whisky Lady in India on: