I used to think folks who would write about the whiskies they added to their collection without tasting were a bit daft. After all, for me it is the journey – discovering something more about a whisky through experiencing it – preferably with others.
Then along came my experience ordering North Star… My brand new Nurnberg Whisky Cabinet was practically empty (save my Old Pulteney 12 year) and it was time to start to build a wee collection, in anticipation of finding or creating a new tasting group in Europe.
What better way than something from the fabulous independent bottler North Star!?
So there I was placing an online order – selecting their reasonably priced options from £56 to £70… I was in no rush for the bottles to reach as had in mind a future experience to be held in some indeterminate evening.
These lovelies were successfully ordered and the wait began…
- Auchroisk 13 year (Feb 2006 / June 2019) Oloroso Sherry Hogshead 51.2% (North Star 008), 1 of 280 bottles.
- Glenturret 8 year (Dec 2010 / Mar 2019) Refill Hogshead 58.3% (North Star 008), 1 of 330 bottles.
- Inchgower 11 year (July 2007 / Mar 2019) Refill Hogshead 52.5% (North Star 008), 1 of 321 bottles.
- Fettercairn 12 year (Oct 2006 / Feb 2019) Refill Barrel 57.4% (North Star 007), 1 of 180 bottles.
Then a remarkable thing happened, things got a wee bit delayed at North Star and these amazing folks decided to add a little bonus:
- Caol Ila 12 year (April 2006 / May 2018) Refill Hogshead 54.6% (North Star Series 005) 1 of 276 bottles.
Plus a great bag and brilliant cap which is now my favourite sunshine companion for walks in the Bavarian forest. Huge thanks to Iain and team…. the problem now is finding the right opportunity to crack open these beauties!
If you don’t want to miss a post, why not follow Whisky Lady on: