Our final North Star Series 5 whisky was from the Islay region with a Caol Ila whisky. While it was the last, it was an entirely appropriate tasting order with this peaty robust dram coming after some lighter, flirtatious whiskies.
Here is what we discovered with the North Star Cask Series 005 Caol Ila…
Caol Ila 12 year (April 2006/May 2018) 54.6%
- Nose – Hello peat! Sweaty, yheasty, medicinal… quite ‘wintry’, pine nuts, spirit of “peat fun”, some salt, kept evolving with the peat much less pronounced, giving way to other aromas, green asparagus, young potato starch, burnt maple bacon, sweet citrus, lightly smoky sweet grass, burnt sugar, sour cherry
- Palate – Proper peat, some spice and everything nice. Crêpe Suzette with cherry liquor flambé, perhaps with a touch of citrus too
- Finish – Green chilli and wasabi, sweet grapes
For those of a peatier persuasion, quite enjoyed this one. The bottle shared a few more details – noting the Caol Ila was bottled from a refill hogshead, un-chill filtered and natural colour.
As for what Iain Croucher had to say about it in his North Star’s tasting notes?
- Nose: An Oligarch’s humidor… a big dusty one
- Palate: A peated Sherbet Lemon, doubled-dunted with a peated Soor Ploom
- Finish: Reminds me of well-seasoned hardwood burning near a new carpet… all subjective of course
Now I must share, we had the most hilarious response and commentary on this one – thoroughly enjoying the reading of the tasting notes… including having to look up what exactly is a “Soor Ploom.”
In case you are curious, a “Soor Ploom” according to Wikipedia is
a sharp flavoured, round, green boiled sweet originally associated with Galashiels, Scotland.
A “childhood favourite,” they are pale green and “slightly acid in flavour”.
Overall it was terrific having a chance to try such distinctive drams – well worth exploring.
For those curious about cost, this whisky was purchased online in July 2018 from Master of Malt for £76.36 / USD 100 / INR 7,215 and was opened in November 2018.
Don’t miss the other Whisky Ladies guest reviews of North Star Series 005 whiskies covering 5 Scottish regions:
- Speyside – Glentauchers 11 year (Apr 2007/May 2018) 58.9% by Nikolina Berg
- Campbeltown – Campbeltown 4 year (2014/2018) 57% by Paula McGlynn
- Highland – MacDuff 11 year (2006/2018) 55.2% by Rekha Sharma
- Island – Orkney 12 year (Mar 2006/May 2018) 57.8% by Shruti Sutwala
Or check out the Original Group’s North Star Discovery:
- Highland – Ardmore Peat 8 year (June 2008/Oct 2016) 57.1%
- Islay – Islay 8 year (June 2008/May 2017) 58.3%
- Speyside – Glenrothes 20 year (Oct 1996/Oct 2016) 54.6%
Want even more Whisky Lady posts? Follow this blog on:
- WordPress https://whiskylady.co/
- FaceBook Whisky Lady in India – https://www.facebook.com/WhiskyLadyIN
- Twitter @WhiskyLadyIN