From the Speyside region, we picked the gentler Glautachers as our first selection for our North Star Series 5 evening with our Whisky Ladies of Mumbai guest reviewer Nikoulina Berg.
Niko knows her stuff. Experienced in the F&B industry with a career that has spanned Germany, US, Spain, China, Singapore and now India, Niko has a certain flare for food and fine spirit and wines.
Currently based in Mumbai, Niko went from heading operations at The Table and Le Pain Quotidien, she went fully independent in 2018 to bring her expertise to advise existing and new hospitality companies on everything from guest experience, IT, operational excellence, entire concept creation to execution. More recently in December 2018, she launched ‘Sorrentina’, a classic Italian all-day dining restaurant and India’s largest gourmet grocer’s ‘Foodhall’ very first restaurant in Santacruz, Mumbai.
With the Whisky Ladies, Niko has shared Bavarian whisky (Slyrs), several Japanese whiskies (Akashi, Mars Iwai, Nikka Grain, Super Nikka) and from La Maison du Whisky That Boutique-y Whisky Company’s Glentaucher’s 20 year.
So what did she think of North Star’s 11 year Glentauchers by comparison?
Glentauchers 11 year (April 2007/May 2018) 58.9%
- Color: light golden
- Nose: lots of fruit! then after a couple of minutes of letting it breathe notes of sherry, vanilla, smokey, a bit like s’mores, peaches, canned pear, minty fresh fumes
- Palate: salty dark licorice, very strong, later coats your tongue with an oddly taste if boiled milk or maybe a version of dulce de leche
- Finish: very salty, keeps burning on your tongue – medium finish. For some of the ladies a harsh burn. Later anise seed, liquorice, coating of sherry
- Water: very different characteristics with water – soil, vegetale, not the grassy type though, less burn. If don’t add water but rather have a sip of water in between – brings out a burnt caramel taste
- Overall: It’s an absolutely beautiful whisky and definitely one of my favourites from the series we tasted!
I prefer it without water but it needs some time to unfold fully.
After the Glentaucher’s 20 YO from ‘The Boutique-y’ I am starting to see a pattern with my notes and ratings of Glentauchers drams!
If you can get your hands on this – get it while you can! Highly recommended!
North Star Spirit’s shares it was matured in a refill bourbon hogshead, finished in a PX Sherry, un-chill filtered, natural colour… and have this to say:
- Nose: My gran’s syrup sponge pudding
- Palate: Thick cream, condensed milk just before the tablet sets
- Finish: Touch of aniseed with a delicate sherry coating
For those curious about cost, this whisky was purchased online in July 2018 from Master of Malt for £53.76 / USD 70 / INR 5,080 and was opened in November 2018.
Don’t miss the other Whisky Ladies guest reviews of North Star Series 005 whiskies covering 5 Scottish regions:
- Speyside – Glentauchers 11 year (Apr 2007/May 2018) 58.9% by Nikolina Berg
- Campbeltown – Campbeltown 4 year (2014/2018) 57% by Paula McGlynn
- Highland – MacDuff 11 year (2006/2018) 55.2% by Rekha Sharma
- Island – Orkney 12 year (Mar 2006/May 2018) 57.8% by Shruti Sutwala
- Islay – Caol Ila 12 year (Apr 2006/May 2018) 54.6%
Original Group’s North Star Discovery:
- Highland – Ardmore Peat 8 year (June 2008/Oct 2016) 57.1%, North Star Series 001
- Islay – Islay 8 year (June 2008/May 2017) 58.3%, North Star Series 002
- Speyside – Glenrothes 20 year (Oct 1996/Oct 2016) 54.6%, North Star Series 001
Want even more Whisky Lady posts? Follow this blog on:
- WordPress https://whiskylady.co/
- FaceBook Whisky Lady in India – https://www.facebook.com/WhiskyLadyIN
- Twitter @WhiskyLadyIN