Back in 1829, Fettercairn Distillery was one of the 1st newly licensed distillery in the Highland thanks to Sir Alexander Ramsay. It was sold within the year to the Gladstone family who carried on making whisky along with getting into politics – including William Gladstone who became Prime Minister. Whyte & Mackay acquired the distillery in 1973 with several official bottling and, no surprise, it also became a core part of their blends.
My earlier experience with Fettercairn was a 21 year old bottled by That Boutique-y Whisky Company. It impressed us with its character and complexity so I was most curious to see what this much younger one bottled by North Star would bring!
Fettercairn 12 year (Oct 2006 / Feb 2019) Refill Barrel 57.4% (North Star 007)
- Nose – Mash-melon, herbal tea, berries and cream, sweet spice, lemon cream, apples, light and fruity
- Palate – Spice, betal leaf, citrus, more burn than expected from the nose, cinnamon spice and tobacco leaf, almost heavy and a little bit nutty
- Finish – There with cinnamon spice
And with water?
- Nose – Very nice! Apple crumble, cream, drizzle of honey, toffee ice cream, apple blossoms, the berries are back – a bit tart and sweet
- Palate – Smooth out the burn but also loses a bit of its edge and substance
- Finish – Back to cinnamon spice
Overall it was a character! I really enjoyed what water did to the aromas and once it settled in, was also an enjoyable way to sip and savour.
What do we know about this dram? It was matured in a refill barrel, un chill filtered, and was 1 of 180 bottles from North Star’s Series 007. I ordered it online directly from the wonderful folks at North Star which made its way from the UK to Nurnberg, Germany. With shipping and tax, it came to approx GBP 74.
And what did Iain Croucher have to say about this Fettercairn? Here are his official tasting notes:
- Nose – Black tea & gooseberries
- Palate – Crushed bobal grapes & barley sugars
- Finish – Hints of disco & funk
What can I say? Another hit from North Star!
What else was part of my North Star latest score?
- Auchroisk 13 year (Feb 2006 / June 2019) Oloroso Sherry Hogshead 51.2% (Series 008)
- Glenturret 8 year (Dec 2010 / Mar 2019) Refill Hogshead 58.3% (Series 008)
- Inchgower 11 year (July 2007 / Mar 2019) Refill Hogshead 52.5% (Series 008)
- Caol Ila 12 year (April 2006 / May 2018) Refill Hogshead 54.6% (North Star Series 005)
Don’t want to miss any posts? Why not follow Whisky Lady on:
- WordPress https://whiskylady.co/
- FaceBook Whisky Lady in India – https://www.facebook.com/WhiskyLadyIN
- Twitter @WhiskyLadyIN