Our next Sherry from La Maison du Whisky’s Artist Series 8 washroom the Ben Nevis distillery. We sampled it at Whisky Live Singapore 2018‘s VIP room.
As this whisky isn’t everyone’s style, some of my tasting companions skipped this one… whereas I soldiered on and dove in for a sniff, swish, (and yes) spit!
Ben Nevis 25 year (1991/2018) Sherry Cask #2375 55.3% (561 bottles)
- Nose – Some sour salty plums and prunes, toffee, nuts and touch of citrus
- Palate – Slightly spicy, honey sweet, dried fruits with a bit of salty sour too
- Finish – Hint of spiced and a bit chalky or milky
Ben Nevis isn’t for everyone… and this was very much in keeping with a Ben Nevis “style” with a bit of sour, salt and in this case – sherry.
And what would a bottle of this cost? If buying in Singapore, that would be SGD 575. Hmm…
If curious to know more, here is what the folks over at La Maison du Whisky have to say:
- Nose – Very exotic in its oxidative register (pineapple, mango), the first nose perfectly synthesizes the Ben Nevis style. At aeration, the influence of sherry clearly evokes a sherry fino type. Notes of almonds, walnuts and curry are reminiscent of Jura yellow wine. Very deep, it evolves on citrus (lemon, grapefruit), praline and verbena. At the precise moment, the aromatic palette is still far from having delivered all its secrets.
- Palate – Lively, removed. Vanilla, the attack in the mouth is also deliciously honey (acacia), vegetable (cucumber) and fruity (dried apricot, gooseberry). Both menthol and lemony, the mid-palate reveals a luxuriant nature, nuanced by a shades of green that goes from the softest to the darkest. The mouth is nobly spicy (saffron, ginger, cardamom).
- Finish – Long, sweet. With the same power of seduction as the nose and mouth, it oscillates between almond milk, candied pineapple, cut hay and spices (ginger, clove). In retro-olfaction, Mirabelle plums and quince add to its fruitiness. Empty glass is medicinal (balm), spicy (cinnamon), roasted (coffee) and oily (walnut, almond).
—From LMdW website with an imperfect google translation from French.
- Glenrothes 20 year (1995/2018) Sherry Butt Cask #909700 52.8% (530 bottles)
- Bowmore 15 year (2001/2018) Sherry Cask #108 55.3% (679 bottles)
- Glenlivet 10 year (2007/2018) 1st Fill Sherry Cask #900214 Batch #2 64.1% (308 bottles)
- Bunnahabhain 35 year (1979/2018) Sherry Cask #9521 47.9% (472 bottles)
Curious about other Ben Nevis tasting experiences?
- 19 year (1996/2016) Cask No 871 45.1% (TSC)
- 21 year (19967/2017) 48.7% (The Nector of the Daily Drams)
Don’t want to miss Whisky Lady posts? Follow this blog on: