I’m utterly shameless when it comes to Shelter Point. I thoroughly enjoyed their 1st Batch – finding it exactly right for an easy drinking yet interesting dram. Remarkable patience was clearly taken to not jump the gun, putting it out when it was actually ready to be consumed, unlike many new distilleries who pump out product before it is truly ready.
So what did we think?
- Nose – Initially a bit of curdled milk, slightly medicinal, then shifted into green apple – like a crisp Granny Smith apple, fresh cut grass, then began to mellow into a hazelnut creamer, almost buttery like, one even found it had a Viognier white wine quality – fruity and complex…. exceedingly inviting and approachable
- Palate – Classic smooth single malt, chocolate, enough spice to make it interesting, malty, a bit bitter but in a good way, had great balance
- Finish – Stays… subtle yet goes on and on and on
Finally a proper single malt!! We sighed in pleasure… delighted to be in our whisky ‘happy place’ with such a beautiful dram.
Their tagline “Sunshine and sea air: unofficial ingredients in every bottle” has a rather apt homespun charm about it. We don’t disagree.
For those interested in the ‘facts’ here’s what the folks over at Shelter Point have to say:
- Still: Custom-designed copper still
- Base: Two-row barley (That’s it. Nothing else.)
- Distillation: Small-batch, 2x distilled and non-chilled filtered
- Alcohol Content: Bottled at 46% Alc.Vol
- Bottle Size: 750ml
- Packaging: Classic Tennessee-style bottle features Vinolok glass closure and original engraving of Shelter Point Farm created by renowned illustrator Steve Noble
This bottle was provided courtesy of the distillery… sent from British Columbia to my folks in Manitoba as it still isn’t available in that province yet. It is presumably from their 2nd batch as their 1st ran out last year! All I can say is – I’m a fan. Period.
I’ve also been keenly watching some of their cask strength experiments and looking forward to another opportunity to try what they next create!
If you happen to be in BC and happen to be lucky enough to locate a bottle – grab it and enjoy it.
What else did we have in our “O Canada” 150th Celebration?
- Manitoba – Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye 45%
- Ontario – Gooderham & Worts Four Grains Canadian Whisky 44.4%
- Ontario – Wayne Gretzky No 99 Red Cask Whisky 40%
- British Columbia – Shelter Point Single Malt Whisky 46% (Batch 1, 2016)
- British Columbia – Barrel of Sunshine Liqueur 30%
You can also find Whisky Lady in India on: