During our December sampling session, one of our fellow tasters brought along an Abelour A’bunadh. It is remarkable to realize they are on to batches in the 50s… and soon to hit 60! I still have fond memories of their sherry bombs of the 20s…
But on to this one… what did we think?
- Nose – As expected – a complete sherry bomb, lots of chewy black cherries, Christmas cake, dark dried fruits, almost rum like
- Taste – Christmas cake, a drizzle of caramel, warm and smooth, apply cider, raisins, prunes, robust and bursting with character, a little ginger, creamy and very berry Christmassy
- Finish – Sweet spice with more of those dark cherries
- Water – As always, opens up with a generous dollop of water
Worked for us and met every expectation for a Christmas sherry bomb dram!
And what about other Aberlour experiences?
- 12 year 40%
- 16 year (1995/2011) Cask 2303 (1st fill sherry), Bottle 180, 57.2%
And other drams sampled in our chilled out evening?
- Bunnahabhain 24 year (1990) 51%
- Tullibardine Burgundy 43%
- Zuidam’s Millstone (1998/2016) 55.5%
- Glendronach 21 year (1993/2014) 58.1%
- Wolfburn “Morven” 46% & Wolfburn “Aurora” 46%
You can also find Whisky Lady in India on: