I will admit I’ve had very limited experience with Tullibardine…. My one passing sample was a 20 year old at a Winnipeg whisky bar that I didn’t even finish.
The Burgundy is part of this Highland distillery’s wood finish series with Sauternes, Burgundy and Sherry finish using the number of litres to label the expression.
- Nose – Crisp with a piquant quality, very fruity – lots of white fruits like pear, apple then settled into a pronounced green melon like a honey dew melon, green toffee, honey
- Palate – Light spice, quite direct
- Finish – Spice finish
- Water – Capers… bitter… then… believe it or not lifebuoy soap
We puzzled over the Burgundy dimension… “Where is the Burgundy” It had none of the colour or red fruit quality we tend to associate with a Burgundy finish…
To be honest, it wasn’t a “keeper” for any of us.
And what do the folks over at Tullibardine have to say about their 228 Burgundy whisky?
THE AUBURN HUE OF THIS WHISKY COMES DIRECTLY FROM ITS TIME SPENT IN THE 228 LITRE BARRIQUES THAT PREVIOUSLY HELD PINOT NOIR FROM CHATEAU DE CHASSAGNE MONTRACHET.
- THE NOSE OF THE 228 FEATURES RED CHERRIES AND VANILLA WITH HINTS OF CHOCOLATE AND TURKISH DELIGHT.
- ON THE PALATE, THERE IS A REAL HINT OF RED SUMMER FRUIT, MORE CHOCOLATE AND A SWEET SPICE NOTE ON THE FINISH.
What else did we try in our “Sinful Samples” evening?
- Bunnahabhain 24 year (1990) 51%
- Millstone (1998/2016) 55.5%
- Glendronach 21 year (1993/2014) 58.1%
- Wolfburn “Morven” 46% & Wolfburn “Aurora” 46%
You can also find Whisky Lady in India on:
- Facebook Whisky Lady in India – https://www.facebook.com/WhiskyLadyIN
- Twitter @WhiskyLadyIN