This was my 1st taste of Zuidam’s Millstone Whiskies… This Dutch distillery is known for its uncompromising quality.
Zuidam Millstone (11.9.1998/5.8.2016) Odoroso Sherry Cask #2530 55.5% OB 44 of 203 bottles
- Nose – Sharp juicy fruits, plum wine, dash of sweet spices with cinnamon, cloves and allspice, back to a burst of red fruits, sultanas, honey water then prunes, a shifting spice from black pepper to cayenne, then back to fruity boiled sweets or candied orange
- Palate – Wow! Now we are talking a serious dram. Om biscuits with that distinctive caraway, perhaps a bit of kalonji too. Clear stamp of sherry with some age behind it too…
- Finish – Gorgeous finish
- Water – No interest in adding…
An unmistakable Christmas dram. Stunning.
While this was an official bottling, there are no notes on the Zuidam website… however this dram won Malt Maniac’s 2016 “Thumbs Up” award so clearly someone agrees this is a mighty fine dram!
What else did we try in our “Sinful Samples” evening?
- Bunnahabhain 24 year (1990) 51%
- Tullibardine 228 Burgundy 43%
- Glendronach 21 year (1993/2014) 58.1%
- Wolfburn “Morven” 46% & Wolfburn “Aurora” 46%
You can also find Whisky Lady in India on: