After our rather interesting evening exploring Rampur from India, Royal Lochnagar 12 year and the remarkable aged grain Girvan 28 year…. we had an opportunity to pick anything from our hosts floor to ceiling whisky cupboard…
- Nose – Cheese, lemon miringue pie, light peaches or crisp apples, simple
- Palate – Exceedingly smooth, very drinkable, think custard, hint of ginger, light citrus, fresh and clean
- Finish – Short, sweet, a little spicy, simple yet pleasing
Our immediate reaction is this would pair well with a cheese and fruit platter – think a nice range of old cheddar and applies. Or desert – something light not heavy. Or even an arugula salad with blue cheese and caramel walnuts.
I brought the glass with us for the dinner… our desert was a baked lagan nu custard. And the Toki paired with it? Perfection! Just the right interplay between the different elements and an ideal way to close the evening.
Here’s what the folks at Suntory have to say:
- Color – clear gold
- Nose – basil, green apple, honey
- Palate – grapefruit, green grapes, peppermint, thyme
- Finish – subtly sweet and spicy finish with a hint of vanilla oak,
white pepper and ginger
Also from our evening:
- Rampur 43%
- Royal Lochnagar 12 year 40%
- Girvan 28 year 42%
- PS… a few others reached for the Lagavulin 16 year 43% – always a favourite!
You can also find Whisky Lady in India on: