Another from the tasting archives… this time from Sept 2011. Rediscovering these notes brought a flood memories of my previous Mumbai flat… that had a fabulous cabinet in which all my whisky was stashed… now replaced in our current home by a larger storage space waaaaay up high in our kitchen pantry.
We broke with tradition and merrily abandoned all pretense of blind tastings… instead settled down for a sampling of various bottles. It became a popularity contest between different regions and geographies as small pegs of multiple whiskies were sniffed, swirled, swallowed, savoured and yes – much discussed!
Speyside‘s dominated the evening with:
- Aberlour’s cask strength Abu’nadh batch 32 (sampled earlier) and batch 31 were compared. Batch 31 was a clear winner and a hit of the evening! Bold yet with an extraordinary warm finish… with layers to discover and enjoy.
- Aberlour 10 year held its own with slight smokiness and butter, however was overshadowed by it’s cask strength cousin.
- Cragganmore 12 year was softer on the palate and a nice contrast to the Abelours
- Glenrothes 12 year (also sampled earlier) gained appreciation for its smooth fruity aroma, sherry note and oak, medium slightly spicy finish.
Islay‘s were represented by a few familiar friends:
- Bunnahabhain 12 year 40% is a regular favourite with several folks
- Caol Ila is also well-known and after the last drop of one bottle was polished off, another was opened… Need one say more?
- Lagavulin 16 year was also a familiar friend but neglected with all the other options…
- Suntory’s Hakushu 18 year…. In a class of its own with hints of forest, moss, nuanced, with a divine finish – simply exquisite. It remains one of my favourites!
- Crown Royal from Gimli, Manitoba (my home province) certainly added a different element with rye, however alas outclassed by single malt companions
Naturally what’s expressed here is only one interpretation based on snippets of conversation and personal bias. Would love to hear others opinions on any of these whiskies…
You can also find Whisky Lady in India on: