As shared, my last trip to Singapore featured a remarkable whisky sampling evening at The Auld Alliance with eight different drams!
One of the more surprising whisky was a very uncharacteristic yet rather interesting Laphroaig. I’ve never associated ‘flowery’ with this distillery!
- Nose – Softer, easier, sweet, a sterile pharmaceutical quality like a sweet medicinal capsule
- Taste – Initially sweet and flowery, a distinctly ‘meetha‘ (sweet) all the way down with mint, basil and honey, so light and yet grew into the faintest wisp of smoke? Sip further and it the smoke begins to uncurl itself revealing there is indeed a deeper element, growing and expanding into a more robust and rounded whisky than it seemed in the first few sips. Still retained a fresh, sweet quality yet with depth
- Finish – Smooth, nice and easy, sweet peat
- Overall – A sense of SILK, well balanced with more going on than first appeared
In fairness to this whisky, it was difficult to get back into the saddle after the utterly remarkable Lochside 1981. What was fascinating to us was this did not have the current bold Laphroaig whisky character – something much more nuanced and subtle.
You can find The Auld Alliance at:
- 9 Bras Basah Road, RendezVous Hotel, Gallery #02-02A, SINGAPORE 189559
- firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: +65 6337 2201
- Scottish sampling suite in Singapore: Little Mill, BenRiach, Lochside, Laphroig
- Round the world tour: Bushmills, Beam’s Choice, Kornog, Yamasaki Sherry
- Glendronach Grand Dames – Age DOES matter!
- Rare Japanese Whisky – Karuizawa 39 year 1973/2013 Cask No 1607 67.7%
You can also find Whisky Lady in India on: