Anyone heard this before: “Oh, you drink whisky? Which is your favourite?”
I have a tough time. My whisky preferences are often tied to mood, company, and… let’s face it… accessibility!
Let’s also be honest… folks that drink blends are a loyal lot. They have a ready answer to the ‘favourite’ question.
Here goes! From my Whiskies by Country list with random reasons for their pick (by country/region order):
- Sullivans Cove – French Oak Cask – Only Tasmanian whisky sampled so far and makes me really wanna try more
- Kornog bottled for The Auld Alliance – Why I’ve begged my gal pal on a biz trip to Paris to pretty please bring me back ANYTHING from Kornog or Glann Ar Mor
- When in a ‘desi’ (Indian) mood – Paul John’s cask strength Peated
- Hakushu 18 year – No surprise this old favourite from Japan made the cut!
- Perhaps because I sampled it recently, but the ‘Yoichi’ 10 year has character…
- Springbank from Campbeltown shows promise with Hazelburn 12 year
- Love the chocolaty coffee yumminess of Glenmorangie’s Signet
- Caol Ila 1997, bottled 2009 (Gordon & MacPhail) simply notches up what I enjoy most about Caol Ila
- My current ‘everyday dram’ is Kilchoman Coull Point
- The American craft whiskey that made me go ‘Oh yes!’ Westland Cask No 395 54.6%
The most remarkable “I can stop now” single malt is Lochside 1981… Completely out of my reach, but I have to mention it… it is simply that good.
And one that is completely unfair to include – blend of two discontinued distilleries (Hanyu & Kawasaki) plus impossible to buy – Ichiro’s Malt Houou-uhi (Phoenix) 46.5%.
See how hard it is? I couldn’t even restrict myself to 10!
Come on… share your top 10 (or 12)!! You know you want to!
You can also find Whisky Lady in India on: