As I post this, I’m getting ready to make the most of the London Whisky Show – yeah!!! Around the world, we are slowly but surely getting back to spirits festivals – bringing together industry experts with interested consumers.
After a bout with COVID kaiboshed my June London whisky plans, I eased back into Whisky tastings with a low-key festival just outside of Heidelberg at Schloss Schwetzingen Whisky Festival.
This was followed by another weekend with whisky friends, where we cracked open the Chorlton’s Mannochmore (a marvelous malt) and the delicious daily dram Arran Barrel Reserve 43%.
Inspired by our gentle easing back into the tasting, I decided to get more serious about getting the old “olfactory” senses back into shape post-COVID! So I challenged myself by “training” with a few minis:
- Glentauchers 13/14 (2005/2019) 46% – Fruity, woodsy, mineral…
- Starwood Two-Fold Double Grain 40% – Clear wine influence, a bit intense and edgy but interesting
Which then lead to building on my solo efforts with an evening with friends. We compared three pairings… with each, we had a clear “favourite” that stood out against its partner. Yet all were great to try!
- Appetizer drams? Royal Brackla 11 year vs Tamdhu 11 year – The Royal Brackla was yum!! Tamdhu in the ‘average’ yet decent category
- Going Grainy; Girvan 30 year vs Cameronbridge 36 year – The Girvan was a delight, Cameronbridge a reminder of why a great grain goes best in a blend!
- Islay peat: Bruichladdich 16 year vs Kilchoman 6 year – The Bruichladdich was a class act and Kilchoman a winter warming dram
Finally, in anticipation of weekends of whiskies, I also cleared out from the ‘archives’ an old masterclass of years gone by:
- Singapore Whisky Live 2018 archive with Luca Gargano: Worthy Park Single Estate Rum Reserve 45%, Hampden Estate Rum 46%
What’s next? A much anticipated few days with a fellow whisky aficionado in London!
Curious to know more? Check out a few more monthly summaries:
- Whisky Lady – May + June 2022
- Whisky Lady – March + April 2022
- Whisky Lady – February 2022
- Whisky Lady – January 2022
And if you don’t want to miss a post, why not follow Whisky Lady on:
- WordPress https://whiskylady.co/
- FaceBook Whisky Lady in India – https://www.facebook.com/WhiskyLadyIN
- Twitter @WhiskyLadyIN
Additionally, there are the two ‘off-shoots’ with:
- Whisky Ladies of Mumbai blog with the continuing adventures of the lovely ladies in India
- Whisky Ladies European chapter insta with our new explorations in colder climes!