After a decidedly promising start with both the Origine spirit and signature expression – Identite, we shifted into a single cask from The Belgian Owl. Similar age as Identite – a mere three years – it gave a window into the alchemy in a single ex-bourbon cask. What did we think? Did it bring out our passions?
- Colour – Bright gold
- Aroma – A bit closed, then as it opened fruity – particularly pear – first ripe pear, then baked pear, shifting more into tropical notes with banana, a hint of passion fruit and then clear pineapple tang, joined by some caramel and wood notes
- Palate – Light spice, still smooth like the earlier whisky but somehow lacked the character and substance
- Finish – Sweetish – think of red candy dye
- Water – To be honest, we didn’t even think of trying with water
After thoroughly enjoying Identite, our expectations had risen considerably. What did we discover? It was clear it came from the same whisky family, however, it was curiously flat, and whilst smooth and sweet, we also found it a bit imbalanced. Something that was so well rounded in Identite was absent here. It was still overall quite pleasant but didn’t have that easy-going, cheerful character that was so incredibly appealing in Identite. One quipped it didn’t exactly arouse our “passions” though was actually quite a decent dram. What do the folks at The Belgian Owl have to say?
The Belgian Owl Passion is a single cask whisky, specially selected by Etienne Bouillon. Each cask is unique and unveils its own character.
What else? They use unpeated distillate in pot stills and exclusively mature in 1st fill ex Bourbon American white oak (Quercus alba). What else did we receive as part of our The Belgian Owl quintet?
- The Belgian Owl Origine Pot Still unaged spirit 46%
- The Belgian Owl Identité 36 months, first fill bourbon 46%
- The Belgian Owl Passion 36 months, first fill bourbon, single cask 1538337 46% Bottle 29
- The Belgian Owl Intense 40 months, first fill bourbon, single cask 1538452 72.7% Bottle 177
- The Belgian Owl Evolution 48 months, first fill bourbon 46%
This set was kindly provided by the good folks at The Belgian Owl following a virtual tasting with friends scattered from Europe to India. Whilst we hope to revisit together with The Belgian Owl team to explore and understand further, our tasting was held without any specific insights or influence, hence views are our own. If you don’t want to miss a post, why not follow Whisky Lady on:
- WordPress https://whiskylady.co/
- FaceBook Whisky Lady India – https://www.facebook.com/WhiskyLadyIN
- Twitter @WhiskyLadyIN
Additionally, there are the two ‘off-shoots’ with: