Sometimes one thing leads to another… What was originally intended to be a Bombay ‘bar night’ with various whiskies lying around turned (thanks to the wonders of modern technology and curious connects) into a special feature on The Belgian Owl together with the founder and master distiller – Etienne Bouillon – and brand ambassador – Frédéric Senet.
Alas I was already back in Germany so could only experience Identité ‘vicariously’ via the descriptions of the others – which were incredibly positive! Even from one who was a bit skeptical from his earlier brush almost a decade ago – however distilleries and palates evolve and the sincerity of the enthusiasm was clear.
How did this evening come about? Well, one of our Bombay Malt & Cigar gents currently splits his time between Belgium (where his wife lives and works) and Mumbai (where he lives and works).
On a recent trip to Mumbai, he was contacted via a consulate connect asking “Don’t you do whisky tastings? The folks from The Belgian Owl are interested in getting some feedback from an Indian perspective…” Which is a bit amusing considering the gent in question is actually British! However, like myself, has lived for decades in India, adopting Mumbai as home so not so strange after all.
He was so impressed with the bottle shared in Mumbai that our intrepid introducer made the trek to the distillery on his next trip to Belgium, determined to bring the full range to Mumbai.
As for myself? Courtesy of the fine folks we virtually met, I now have this very tempting quintet to explore….
- The Belgian Owl Origine Pot Still unaged spirit 46%
- The Belgian Owl Identité 36 months, first fill bourbon 46%
- The Belgian Owl Passion 36 months, first fill bourbon, single cask 1538337 46% Bottle 29
- The Belgian Owl Evolution 48 months, first fill bourbon 46%
- The Belgian Owl Intense 40 months, first fill bourbon, single cask 1538452 72.7% Bottle 177
If you don’t want to miss a post, why not follow Whisky Lady on:
- WordPress https://whiskylady.co/
- FaceBook Whisky Lady India – https://www.facebook.com/WhiskyLadyIN
- Twitter @WhiskyLadyIN
Additionally, there are the two ‘off-shoots’ with:
- Whisky Ladies of Mumbai blog with the continuing adventures of the lovely ladies in India
- Whisky Ladies European chapter insta with our new explorations in colder climes!