What would happen if you matured whisky fully in a red wine barrel rather than merely finish?
And what if the temperature swings of Melbourne’s climate was used as an asset rather than adversity?
Even more, what if your goal was to go against the trend of ever increasingly expensive whiskies to craft something affordable, approachable and distinctly Australian?
Well if you were the folks over at Starward distillery in Melbourne, Australia this would be exactly the questions you are dedicated to answer!
Here is the trio we explored:
- Project Wine Cask 2.25 yr malted barley spirit batch 170721-A (8 Aug 2017) 42% – An experiment in fully maturing malted spirit in a red wine cask
- Solera (2018) 43% – Adapting a traditional Sherry Solera process for maturing whisky in Apera casks
- 10th Anniversary 52% – A celebration of Starward’s journey with 8 cask styles and some 28 casks combined to craft one exceptional vatted malt
What a treat to sample each side by side in Mumbai early March 2018.
Interested in exploring other Australian whiskies? Check out:
- Hellyers Road 12 year 46.2%
- Hellyers Road Pinot Noir 46.2% + May’18
- Starward 43%
- Sullivans Cove
You can also find Whisky Lady in India on:
- Facebook Whisky Lady in India – https://www.facebook.com/WhiskyLadyIN
- Twitter @WhiskyLadyIN