The first in our rum minis evening was Diplomatico… which I first avoided at the 2016 Whisky Live Singapore – doing my best not to get my feminist hackles up over their dominatrix styled models wandering about to pique male interest in the rum.
However marketing faux pas aside (from my perspective at least), the chance to share a mini with a merry bunch seemed the best opportunity to get over my prejudice.
- Nose – Toast with butter and marmalade, then a bit of marmite, burnt sugar like a crème brulee, spiced rum raisins, caramel custard, a German Stollen or marzipan
- Palate – Very sweet, lighter than anticipated
In short, this could be described as “sweet and delicious” like desert in a glass.
Diplomatico origins are Venezuelan and can be found in 60 odd countries.
What do the folks over at Diplomatico have to say?
- Nose: Complex and characterful, with notes of maple syrup, orange peel, brown sugar and liquorice.
- Mouth: Sweet toffee fudge and a seductive and elegant finish.
What else did we sample in our rummy evening?
- Guatamala – Zacapa 23 Solera 40% vs XO 40%
- Guyana – El Dorado 12 year 40%
- Barbados – Criterion 10 year (April 2017) Ex Bourbon / Ex Madiera 56%